The Encyclopaedic Australian Legal Dictionary is a unique online reference work containing over 25,000 legal definitions. As the name suggests, this legal dictionary has a strong Australian focus and includes many legal terms and definitions not found in American or English legal dictionaries.
Within the Encyclopaedic Australian Legal Dictionary legal terms and definitions are presented in an Australian context and are supported by both Australian legislative and judicial authority.
The legal definitions cover every subject area of law and include:
- explanations of well known rules and principles of law;
- definitions of international law terms, treaties and conventions;
- old English legal terms to assist in understanding older cases and commentaries;
- translations of Latin legal words and phrases;
- descriptions of landmark decisions of the High Court of Australia; and
- biographical entries for significant legal figures.
Legal definitions and terms from a range of other non-legal subject areas such as business and commerce are also included within the database. In addition, this law dictionary is enhanced with over 5,000 links to LexisNexis Australian Law Reports online, as well as links to additional citations in Australian Legal Words and Phrases.
|Butt, P; Nygh, P; plus over 100 contributors
|Legal Reference and Research
|online access; regularly updated; charged annually
- Text of Definitions
- Table of Abbreviations
- Table of Law Reports
- Popular Australian Case Names
- Commonwealth Constitution
- Australian Prime Ministers
- Justices of the High Court of Australia
- Regnal Years of English Sovereigns
General Editors of the Encyclopaedic Australian Legal Dictionary
The (late) Dr Peter Nygh was a prolific legal author whose career spanned the roles of academic, Professor of Law, Family Court Judge, and international lawyer.
Professor Peter Butt is a well respected academic and lawyer, and the Foundation Director of the Centre for Plain Legal Language.
For more information on Encyclopaedic Australian Legal Dictionary
, or other LexisNexis products:
You may also be interested in the following related products, similar to The Encyclopaedic Australian Legal Dictionary: